Thursday, April 16, 2020

Seaweed, Problem Guy

Problem:  A difficulty that has to be resolved or dealt with.
Solution:  The answer to a problem.

I laughed out loud when I saw the definition to solution.  That is a no-bullshit definition.  That is a definition that is getting right to the point.

I am a Problem Guy.  I see problems.  I find problems where no problems exist.  I am a Problem Wizard who can manufacture a wonderful problem out of thin air.  I wave my Problem Magic Wand over my Problem Top Hat and voila!  a lovely problem appears.

I think alcoholics ascribe too many things to their alcoholism when the fact of the matter is that a lot of the stuff we do can be chalked up to human nature.  It's a scary world out there and we're hard-wired to be wary of potential difficulties.  It's better to be prepared for a challenge than to have it sneak up and smack us in the face.   

I sold diagnostic equipment used by maintenance personnel in manufacturing plants to locate problems, so you think I have a mind geared to problem finding?  To make matters worse a lot of the time I was looking at machinery and trying to anticipate problems that might occur down the road.  There were currently no problems and I was acting as if there were many problems.

Problems, problems, problems, blah blah blah.

One of the reasons I go to a lot of literature meetings is that our books are packed with solution stuff.  Discussion meetings can be great but they can also drift into grievance sessions where members rehash their problems without moving into a solution.  Sometimes we experience this when we're listening to a member tell their story - there can be a lot of "what it was like" and not nearly enough of "what happened and what it's like now."

Are we doing too much or not enough to stem the Covid-19 pandemic?  Probably somewhere in the middle.   Are Zoom meetings great or are they a pain in the ass?  

Yes, you're absolutely right.  They are.

No comments: