Wednesday, April 22, 2020

R.I.D.s

I'm out of ideas this morning so I go to my Go To topic: Definitions!  Really, though, words are great.  There's a lot of interesting stuff - and surprising stuff - in the definitions.  I'm going to a Big Book meeting today where one of the members has an AA dictionary and she is called on to read out definitions all the time.  We zip and zoom through the words without understanding what they mean a lot of the time and this is heretical for those of us who believe that there is at least some spiritual or magical or intuitive force behind the writing of the books.  The words were carefully chosen and are very important.  Can you imagine the editing and arguing that went on as the book was being subjected to a peer review from a bunch of restless, irritable, discontented, and newly sober drunks?  Whew.

The following definitions come from the Doctor's Opinion:  "They are restless, irritable, and discontented unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort that comes at once by taking a few drinks . . . "  I like the phrase "at once."  As soon as that shot of whiskey or half a can of beer - taken in one, long slug - hit my stomach the bad feelings vanished.

Restless:  Unable to be still or quiet; uneasy; continually moving.

Irritable: Having one's patience greatly taxed; greatly annoyed; made furious.  (Ed. Note: the second definition that came up was Irritable Bowel Syndrome which would be an EXCELLENT name for a heavy metal band.)

Discontented: Experiencing dissatisfaction.

I chose these words this morning because I was thinking about my restless spirit.  I think I'm irritable and discontented in moderation but restless is my middle name, and I say that in a positive way.  I'm curious and adventurous and I want to see what else is going on out there.  I don't want to sit in the status quo.  I don't want to do what I did yesterday.  For chrissake I'm going to be dead in a few years.  Why would I want to repeat something?

Always: At all time; throughout all time.

Never: At no time; on no occasion; in no circumstance.  (Ed. Note: Boy, always and never really go at it, head to head, mano to mano.)

Forever: For all time, for all eternity; for an infinite amount of time.

These are good words for me to ponder and remember.  My tendency is to dwell in the far reaches of extremes.

No comments: