Saturday, April 11, 2020

Me and Us

I've found the dynamics of social distancing to be fascinating and a kind of analogue to what we do in AA.  On the one hand it really IS all about me: I have to make the decision to stop drinking and then to do the things I need to do to stay sober.  No one gets to tell me how to do it.  What works for you may not work for me.  Someone shares their own personal experience with me and then I decide if it's applicable or not.  This is one of the reasons AA works so well: nobody is in charge, nobody has a rule book, no one has all the answers . . . other than me, of course.  I'm the Answer Man.

Conversely our first Tradition reminds us that the unity of the group is paramount - indeed, necessary for our very survival: Our common welfare should come first; personal recovery depends on A.A. unity.  I can't come into the rooms and do whatever I want to do.  I have to consider how my behavior impacts everyone even though I may not like it.  With my own personal self I get to do whatever I want - with my groups I have to adhere to guidelines that the majority thinks are in everyone's best interest.

Yes, frustrating sometimes.  But when something happens in society or at work or inside organizations that I belong to that I don't like that may mean that I need to buckle down and try to think of everyone's welfare, not just mine.  I don't want to be a prisoner in my own home right now and I'm not always completely convinced that this is the best thing to be doing.  Yet, it seems to be working.   

Yet I don't want to be doing it.

No comments: