Saturday, October 27, 2018

Not Too Good With People

"Or if my disturbance was seemingly caused by the behavior of others, why do I lack the ability to accept conditions I cannot change?"

Because it's a hell of a lot easier blaming someone or something else for my problems.  It's not me - it's you.

"But it is from our twisted relations with family, friends, and society at large that many of us have suffered the most.  The primary fact that we fail to recognize is our total inability to form a true partnership with another human being."

Total:  Complete; absolute; entire.
Inability:  Lack of the ability to do something.

Note here that the suggestion is that we are unable to form a normal relationship with another person.  Any other person.  There is no nuance to the word "total."

"We have not once sought to be one in a family, to be a friend among friends, to be a worker among workers, to be a useful member of society.  Always we tried to struggle to the top of the heap, or to hide beneath it.  This self-centered behavior blocked a partnership relation with any one of those about us.  Of true brotherhood we had small comprehension."

Well, at least there's the implication that we may have  a tiny ability to brother up.   A bit larger than non-existent but still barely measurable.

An egomaniac with an inferiority complex.
I may not be much but I'm all I think about.
Enough about me - what do you think about me?
I may be a piece of shit but I'm still better than you.

No comments: