Tuesday, October 9, 2018

I Am Totally Whelmed Today

Did you know that "whelm" is an actual word?  Overwhelmed?  Sure.  Underwhelmed?  Got it.  Whelmed?  OK, then.

Unless each member follows to the best of his ability our suggested Twelve Steps to recovery, he almost certainly signs his own death warrant.  His drunkenness and dissolution are not penalties inflicted by people in authority; they result from his personal disobedience to spiritual principles.

Tradition Nine, baby.  How great is that concept?  I was the kid who looked at my mother as she told me that the skillet was hot, got burned while defiantly grabbing the thing, then got mad . . . at her . . . when I got burned.  Mom didn't burn me - the law of heat transference took care of that.

So we do obey spiritual principles, first because we must, and ultimately because we love the kind of life such obedience brings.  Great pain and great love are our disciplinarians; we need no others.


No comments: