Wednesday, October 10, 2018

In Recovery . . .

Recovery:  A return to normal health.

Am I in recovery?  Or recovered?  What do I need to stay in recovery?  Who cares about this semantic attack on a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body?

I'm amused at how people take important religious, philosophical, political, etc., books and study them to death.  With most of these texts a smart person can find passages that support whatever viewpoint they currently hold while discounting anything oppositional.

What a waste of my time.  I was reflecting on Japan and the absence of any 12 Step meetings.  I never felt like drinking but I did become increasingly impatient and intolerant.  The company that helped organize our stay sent out the requisite questionnaire - per usual the first two weeks were fantastic; the third week was very good; and I got some shit to say about that last week.  Part of this, no doubt, was the result of a lot of time out of my routines while in a foreign culture, and part of it, for sure, was the lack of recovery support.  At the start I didn't see the sake on the table - at the end I wondered what it smelled like.

Lest I wonder if I'm an alcoholic . . . .

I like what one of our founders said when asked if he thought he would ever take another drink: "I believe that if I keep doing what I've been doing that I will never have to pick up another drink."

No comments: