Monday, May 22, 2017

The Doom Project

Regret:  To feel sorry about (a thing that has or had not happened), afterthink; to wish that a thing had not happened, that something else had happened instead.

I like the idea of wishing that something else happened.  That's me - I don't even know what I want as long as it's something different.  Most Earth People don't understand that for an alcoholic - especially one who has been drinking for a long time - the goal isn't necessarily to feel better.  We're just trying to feel different.  We don't want to feel whatever it is we're feeling.  We hate it so much that we do things that make us feel worse.

Else:  Other; in addition to previously mentioned items.

Projection:  A forecast or prognosis obtained by extrapolation.
Doom:  Destiny, especially terrible; an impending severe occurrence or danger that seems inevitable.

There's a great Black Sabbath song called Hand of Doom.  It's on an album called Paranoid.

Paranoid:  Exhibiting extreme and irrational fear or distrust of others.

I don't have much regret in my life but I still have a powerful capacity for projecting doom into the future.  That's not true - I have an ability to see doom in the future as a subset of my projecting skills.  The first sentence made it sound like I was shooting doom from the present into the future.  The fact of the matter is that I have very little doom handy.  This is why I'm forced to imagine implausible outcomes.  But Shooting Doom or Doom Projectiles would both be excellent names for rock bands.

Basically I'm just looking up cool words here.  I have no real point to all of this.  The thread that presented itself to me today is one of my endlessly recurring loops - why so little regret for what has transpired and why so much fear of a bad outcomes?  My history, my experience would suggest that I have little to fear in the future. Yet there I am - living in pain.  I don't get it.  It's irrational.

No comments: