Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Introvert Or Asshole?

Probably:  In all likelihood.

So I'm a little self-absorbed if by "little" you mean "totally."  We're all self-absorbed to a degree - it's how we survive the mean streets of Vacation City - but I've got my self-absorption groove working overtime.

I spoke to a friend at my morning meeting about these personality tests.  Her reactions to life mimic mine more often than not, and she lives too large a part of her life in her own head, so I was not surprised to find out she had a very similar personality profile.  

I told SuperK - who sponsors this woman - about the conversation.   She was not impressed.  She believes that I have a tendency to use information like this to justify shitty behavior.  I argue my point all the while suspecting that she's probably right.  In my opinion, however, I try to make use of all kinds of information in an honest attempt to become a little better as a person.  I think I do this but I also think Black Sabbath is the greatest rock band of all time, both opinions open to a whole lot of discussion.

So I took the personality test again, the first time in a few years.  I flew through the damn thing, not hesitating, not considering, just gut reaction - answer - go go go.

INTJ.

The interesting thing is that it listed my introversion as the least dominant of all of my personality traits.  Here's where I hope that this information is actually a force for improvement.  Try to stay with me here - self-justification can get torturous.  I have for many years used my introspective nature to explain my sometimes less than, sort of not as good as . . . well, asshole behavior - in social situations.  I do a reasonable number of social things and I enjoy them for a while and then I'm ready to go. 

"I'm an introvert," I'll say to SuperK, explaining why I stood up abruptly to leave the party or dinner or concert or whatever.

So maybe I'm being a jerk rather than an introvert.  I have a tendency to be somewhat arrogant and dismissive of other people so maybe I'm just being rude.  Maybe I think I'm better than you are.  Maybe I should suck it up when I'm tired of being around other people and try to be nice about it.

Maybe I'm just a jerk some of the time.  The Horror!  The Horror!!

No comments: