Thursday, July 9, 2015

The Rural Juror

My jury summons prompted the standard Seaweed response to an unwanted task: "Oh, crap. Why me?"  Implied in that comment is that I'd be very comfortable if it was you - anybody but me.  The next indicated step was to try to figure out how to evade the responsibility.  This, apparently, is very common as the actual summons sent to me listed all of my potential excuses - along with many more that I hadn't thought of - and the corresponding reasons why they weren't going to be accepted.  Even the judge mentioned, wearily, that he was sure all most no one wanted to be there, potential jurors in a 5 day civil trial.

I'd say that this is probably common in the very prosperous country where I reside but I bet it's very common in most wealthy places.  I know I spend a huge amount of time bitching about taxes and regulations that affect me and rules that I have to follow that make absolutely no sense and the stupidity of all of our duly elected representatives but the minute you ask me to donate a little bit of my time to be a part of the most important piece of our judicial system then I'm vexed, extremely vexed, that I'll have to miss all of my important . . . you know . . . lolling in the sun.

But here's the thing: once the proceedings got going I was totally, completely impressed with the patience and professionalism of the judge, the lawyers, and - most of all - the potential jurors. People really stepped up to the plate and did their best.  I thought I'd hear all kinds of whining excuses but what came out was a ton of honesty, caring, and a desire by almost everyone to do their best.  I thought people really cared.  I was damn proud.  

One of my coping mechanisms is to imagine the Worst Case Scenario - in this case a potential 5 day trial - and then figure out how to deal with it.  I decided that I had already made it through Day 1 and that the remaining days hewed to a schedule of 10-12 and then 1:30-4.  I mean, not exactly grueling.  I was OK with it.  I was ready to serve.

Never got called.  I've seriously thought about going over and watching the trial for a day or so. I should be locked up.

No comments: