Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Sorry About That

Responsible:  Answerable for an act performed or for its consequences; accountable.

There's a lot of stuff in our literature about taking responsibility for our actions.  I'm not big on this action.  This is not one of my favorite actions.  I'm much more willing to look at you and your behavior, to try to find fault in what you've done or left undone.  It is definitely easier to pour over the boring minutia of someone else's life than to look at the instances where I may have behaved badly.

Apologize:  To acknowledge some fault or offence, with expression of regret for it, by way of amends.

SuperK accuses me of never apologizing.  I tell her that this is because I never do anything wrong.  She is not impressed with this assertion, believing it to be profoundly untrue.  Part of it, I think, is my hyper-competitive nature - I'm always trying to "win," whatever that means.  I am very qualified to find instances where she has behaved badly.  People get married just so they can have someone at arm's length to blame for everything they don't want to take responsibility for.

I did NOT apologize for never apologizing.

No comments: