Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Whomping, Taken Collectively

Whompage:  Whomping or whomping on; acts of whomping or whomping on, taken collectively.  
Here's a shocker - the coffee hasn't been anything special.  We've come a long way in the States coffee-wise.  It's expensive here and sparse and not all that strong.

I saw a little kid with a neck scarf on yesterday - a Pooh Bear neck scarf.  How big an ass-whomping would he get for wearing that to school in Compton, CA?

The French have gotten a little chubby.

The market was back today.  I went out very early and had a better time of it.  I stuck to the fruit and vegetable stands and I got samples before buying cheese - last week we bought some repellent stuff, semi-finished and odoriferous.  There are no orange cheeses here - everything is cream colored, a healthier variety I've heard as the orange is a sign of high milk-fat content.  They all look identical and they're richer and creamier and dearly priced.  No tapenades, designer prunes, or olive oils.  I did buy a roasted chicken for dinner - the guy was also selling gutted, dressed rabbits.  I couldn't see making that in the microwave.

One can see the difference between corporate farming and local farming in this culture.  Processed foods are very expensive here and fresh ones are not.  I can walk away with a huge bag of fresh fruit and vegetables with a wallet full of money.  At home the cheap goods come highly processed and frozen or canned.

I received a reply from my sister today with nary a comment about the $100 donation.  There was, however, a detailed accounting of all the work she has been doing for my parents.  You cannot screw with my family.  This is a hardball-playing family.  All I know is that she discharged her $100 debt to me, under duress.  So be it.

No comments: