Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Charity

Charity:  In general, an attitude of kindness and understanding towards others, now especially suggesting generosity.  

To finish up my Transfer Rampage with a tip story . . . 

I was stewing in my own sour juices in the back of the van, spine rattling with every bump, knees tucked up into my chin, when I thought: "This dude is not getting a tip."  Fortunately, with the three hour trip still on-going, I had time to recalculate -  I realized it wasn't the driver's fault and I realized he was the least well compensated of all of the shuttle personnel that I was condemning to the fiery pits of hell in my mind.

When we got home I told him again that I wasn't angry with him and I pulled out a $20 bill.  

"If you've got a ten this is for you," I said.

He pulled out some change.  He had a five and some ones.

"That's OK," he said.  "Whatever you've got, a few bucks is OK."

I dug out the few smaller bills I had, passed them over, shook his hand, and we were home.  

"You know what?"  I told SuperK.  "There were three other couples in the van who got dropped off before us and this guy only had $7 on him."

Makes you think.

No comments: