Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Do Not Put the Garbage in the Hallway

Our hosts get to review us as guests - it doesn't just work one way.  If a guest trashes an apartment or sets up a meth lab or something like that it gets passed around.  Fair enough and good for them.  In Nimes, site of the great industrial sanding incident, we gave our hostess Arelette a good review.  We didn't believe that it was her fault that industrial sanders were being used so vigorously and she worked hard to rectify the problem.  She posted the following note about us, translated humorously by Google.

Seaweed and SuperK are lovely hosts!  Communication prior to arrival helped organize welcoming them more comfortable.  Unfortunately work not provided for in the building forced them to shorten their stay.  They were perfectly nice and understanding, despite six days in noise and dust.  They reassured me instead of against me, and left the apartment in a clean state.  I thank them from the bottom of my heart for their kindness and understanding, and I hope to welcome them again in better conditions of course.  I highly recommend these travelers!

Now wasn't that nice?  Seems like we were doing something right.  That's the goal - doing something right, right?

Then, the totally unresponsive people from St. Remy gave us this commendation: 

Everything went well with Steve and his wife.

Doesn't exactly make your heart leap with joy, does it?  I wouldn't classify that as singing our praises.  Honestly, I really didn't care until I saw that they added this private note, for our eyes only:

Do not leave garbage in the hallway.

You might recall that we found these hosts to be on the crappier side.  They didn't respond to any of our questions without repeated follow-up and even then they often answered some other question than the one that was asked.  Ironically, one of the questions I asked more than once but never received an answer for was: "What do I do with the garbage?"  Because they ignored me I started to put the garbage out in the hall.  I didn't want the garbage in the apartment.  I figured if it was in a public space that it might trigger a response which it did, albeit a totally unhelpful response.

I want to know where to put the garbage, not where not to put it, dig?  And really, what are they doing?  Getting us schooled for when we come back to their apartment in a couple of weeks?  I assumed they were treating us with disdain because they figured they would never see us again.  It was like I got served a bad steak, so bad that I had to spit partially chewed gristle and tendon into a napkin which I left on my plate, and the restaurant complained about the detritus.  The problem isn't where I'm spitting the gristle - the problem IS the gristle.

I had been pondering a harsh review but decided against it.  This may change my mind.



No comments: