Monday, May 5, 2014

All About Not Bitching

We found the apartments that we're renting through a service which finds apartments for people who want to rent apartments.  I'm sorry - I started that sentence and quickly realized I didn't have anything to say but was too lazy to stop and collect my thoughts plus I'm too lazy to erase what I've already written even though that would be a lot easier than continuing to write.

In Barcelona we had a decent place - we would have liked something with a separate bedroom to give SuperK a nice buffer zone, but we were acutely aware that our rental was much better than the hotel rooms we usually end up with.  The apartment rental service gave me an opportunity to review the place after we left - this information is posted on the web site so that future prospects can see what past guests have to say.  Most of the reviews are positive but some point out deficiencies - frankly, I find these more valuable: some honest feedback.  We liked the guy and found the place as advertised; moreover, some of the worries we had - noise, safety, location - were unfounded and I said so.  I can only hope this might be salve on the mind of the next anguished guy like me who's looking for someplace to stay.

Our landlord also had the opportunity to review us on the web site.  If a guest is a pain in the ass I would assume the general rental community wants to know - if someone trashes your place or makes a lot of noise you can put out the word to your fellow landlords.  He shot back a very positive set of comments.  This made me feel good - I consider myself an ambassador of my home country and I consider myself an ambassador of general do-gooding. 

Our second place was the much discussed scaffolding apartment in Nimes where a distressed and uber-honest woman refunded much of my money.  In the past I would have handled this differently - I would have assumed the worst and made an ass of myself.  My experience is that when I make an ass of myself that things don't work out very well.  If I assume an argument is in the offing then an argument is what I get.  I provided a lavish review for this landlord - there is no greater comfort than in a wrong made right.  Anybody can do it the right the first time - it's a superstar who can correct a mistake with dignity.

Now we're in place three.  It's a nice apartment with a spectacular view and we found it quickly and on the fly due to the scaffolding situation.  We've found it hard to communicate with our hosts - they almost never respond to an initial question and a lot of the answers are vague and incomplete.  The customer in me isn't thrilled that I'm being treated like this and I imagine - wait for it - the Worst!  My guess is that they aren't used to longer term renters like this and I think the language barrier has been stiff.  

My initial inclination has been to scorch the walls with a tough review.  I doubt I do this.  I don't think that their mishandling of minor details warrants it.  I keep my cool and I get treated well.  I bitch like the dick that I am and things get all bogged down.

Don't bitch is the advice.

No comments: