Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Good Stuff

Stuff:  Miscellaneous items; things; personal effects.

So how easy is this?

To be grateful today for all of the good things that I have in my life, and there are a whole lot of them.  Because I don't like to be grateful, apparently, and because I forget what I should be grateful for, obviously,  I have had to make an actual list, an actual written list, that I have to look at every morning or I tend to drift right into disastrous thoughts of a Biblical nature, like plagues of frogs and locusts and rivers of blood.

I'm like a little kid whose mom has to pin notes to his coat so that he can remember to do things he's supposed to do.

It helps - it helps to look at that list.

"Oh, right," I say.  "That's some good shit."

Then I ask for some patience and perspective with the things that I don't like for these are things that I should also be grateful for.  Just because it hurts or stings or is temporarily unpleasant doesn't mean it isn't a good thing because it often leads to good things later.  Perhaps I can tap into the river of blood to open a transfusion clinic, that kind of stuff.  Just because I can't see into the future - and thank god for that - doesn't mean the bad stuff isn't going to end up being good stuff.

No comments: