Sunday, November 24, 2013

Short Shrift

Shrift:  The act of going to or hearing a confession.  
Short Shrift:  A rushed sacrament of confession given to a prisoner who was to be executed very soon.

(Ed. Note: I thought "shrift" was a made up word)

I've been engaged in a running dialogue with Little Westside Jonny concerning a big decision he has been pondering.  This is one of those "by choice" decisions fraught with ambivalence.  The question we ask: "Is this my will or is this god's will?"  It's not always clear when we're pursuing something that we want or think that we want.  If I'm in a burning building I don't parse the nuance of staying versus leaving, what's my will and what's god's will  - I head for the door.  LWSJ made his decision and now he's battling some fear.

So be it.  As is should be.  It can be difficult separating what I want from what god wants for me.  I'm not receiving any text messages from on my cell phone.  That's not how the system works.

On these Wish List decisions - these "this is what I want" decisions - I try to take care of the due diligence and then move forward.  LWSJ prayed about his decision; he sought the counsel of others; he might even have done some writing; and he didn't pay short shrift to the worldly side, either.  If I want a new ball I should see if I can afford the ball and if it's the right ball for the sport I want to play.  That stuff is as important as the spiritual stuff.

Then I act, in good conscience, and see what happens next.  If it's my will and not god's will I'll know soon enough.

No comments: