Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Denial

Denial:  Refusal to believe that a problem exists.

The following quote is attributed to Mark Twain.  Maybe he said it - maybe he didn't.  I don't know who attributed it to him, either, except for me, a source of dubious credibility.  Furthermore, I'm probably going to butcher the quote, but here goes:

"I'm an old man who has suffered much misfortune, some of which has actually happened to me."

I've been reviewing the inventory steps of our program recently and I'm always surprised at how big a part denial plays.  As in: you actually ARE at fault; it really IS you; quit pointing a finger at other people - the inventory is yours, not the other man's; quit pretending that you didn't do anything wrong; quit pretending that when you did do something wrong it didn't hurt anyone else; stop pretending that no one else knew how much destruction you were causing, etc. etc.

I like the butchered Twain quote because it's all about comparing the reality of the world to the reality of Seaweed.  They are not often in the same room.  I don't see things clearly.  I interpret things to my own advantage.

Truth is mighty and will prevail. There is nothing the matter with this, except that it ain't so.  -- Samuel Clemens

No comments: