Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Can I Get an A-Men -Ah?

How shall I overreact – let me count the ways.

I had an obviously unqualified electronics technician attempt to install a satellite TV system in my house.  This work involved disconnecting and then reconnecting wiring on the TV set and satellite receiver, installing a few different pieces of hardware on the outside of the building (so lots of pounding and drilling, including an inch hole through the wood floor of my living room), and some mysterious crashing around in the basement.  I’m afraid of the basement area as a general rule – that’s monster territory in my book – so I still don’t know what he did down there.

When Mr. UnQualified left about six hours into a two-hour job, the system didn’t work as promised.  We were told that his company didn’t “guarantee” that it would do everything that we were led to believe it would do.  By the salesman.   In the store.  Before they had my money.   I’m sure that somewhere in the fifteen pages of microscopic legal chicken scratching that constitute the customer agreement that there is jargon that backs up his assertion.  At that point we just wanted this man out of our house. 

When I called to schedule the service call for the service call to fix the whole freaking mess, I had my finger on the trigger.  No more Mr. Mostly Pleasant-On-A-Good-Day Guy – I was itching to blow someone away with my justified, righteous indignation.  Can I get an amen –AH? I have been wronged-AH!  The service sector has it out for me-AH! 

 Some of the best advice that I got from the old timers when I entered recovery was: “Why don’t you just keep your mouth shut?”  As in Don’t talk even a little bit.  Not a peep, as my mama used to tell me.  The fact that I had nothing worthwhile to say was a factor here but these guys didn’t feel the need to fill me in on the reasoning.  My initial reaction was always wrong and they knew that I was going to save myself a lot of grief by simply not talking.

I nearly chewed off my tongue as the Replacement Service Guy came out and quickly remedied what was a minor problem.  The First String Service Guy probably was as frustrated as I was at the end of day one and wanted to go home as much as I wanted him to leave.  As my new hero left, I handed him ten bucks and said that I wanted to buy his lunch.  His face lit up like my old Jimi Hendrix black light poster.  “Thanks, Mr. Seaweed.  Have a great day.”


Amazing to think how much anguish ten bucks costs me when I think that I am being screwed somehow.  And how much pleasure that little bit of money introduced into my day.  Ten dollars.

No comments: