Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Resentment

Resentment:  A feeling of displeasure and indignation, from a sense of being injured or offended.
(Ed. note: I cannot BELIEVE that I have never used this definition in one of my postings.  That is beyond belief).


Our Program suggests that we are powerless over people, places, and things.  It also suggests that there is nothing more injurious to our peace of mind and threatening to our sobriety than a good resentment, carefully prepared and well-seasoned, watered, weeded, and protected from wild animals with sturdy fencing.  If I spent ten percent of the time nurturing my gratitude as I do on my resentment building, I would be one $#!! grateful dude.


Regarding resentment toward "people," I say: "Duh."  People are the worst.  They get in my way.  They impede my progress.  They do it wrong, and this makes me mad, so I resent them.


Regarding resentment toward "things," I say: "Whuzzat?"  I'll have to think about that a bit.  I'm going to toss institutions in this category: the guvmint, the cops, employers, anyone with power over me, which I must by nature and nurture resent because they are doing it wrong, and this makes me mad, so I resent them.


Regarding resentment toward "places," I say: "Boy, do I have a resentment over a place right now and I'm having trouble shaking it."  When the place arises in pleasant conversation I accentuate the venomous immediately, surprising myself with the venom level.  That's messed up.  That's being resentful at the nature of something.  That's like being resentful that electrons get to circle the nucleus of the atom while the stupid protons and neutrons just get to hang out in one vibrating place.  Talk about something that is out of my control.  And the place generating this resentment is perfectly fine.  Almost everything that I resent is perfectly fine.

No comments: