Thursday, December 8, 2011

It's Not Them.

The chairwoman for this morning's meeting (SuperK, by the way, who did a super, super, super job) read a couple of paragraphs from Step 8.  She then shared a short anecdote that showed how she had to apply the principles found in the Step to The Real World.  I find the Real World to be such a drag most of the time.  It's not as much fun as Steve's FantasyLand, which is where I've spent much of my life, daydreaming my time away.  Rock star.  Romantic legend.  Sports icon.  That's me.


I'm always flabbergasted when I see that each Step revolves around the idea that I need to focus on taking care of my own business.  This Program makes me come back over and over again to the idea that the problem is me; hence, the solution is me.


When I spoke I had to trot out my favorite old EdRom anecdote.  A friend of his would call his sponsor, who recognized the number on his caller ID.  He would answer the phone by saying: "It's not them.  It's you."  Then he would hang up.


That's pretty good advice for me.

No comments: