Monday, December 12, 2011

Action!

Action:  Behavior; habitual conduct.


I'm fascinated still with the difference between actions and intentions, between what I say and what I do.  "Talk is cheap," someone once said.  I think it was my sponsor.  


I'm a world class talker, a legendary intend-er.  I talk and talk and talk, then I go out and behave in a way that has little to do with what I've said.  Talk is cheap.  Talk is easy.  Behaving well is much more difficult than intending to behave well.  How do I behave?  What were my actions?  That's where the rubber hits the road.  I don't even believe half of the crap that comes out of my mouth.


I believe that this is why so many of us get frustrated with politicians and organized religion and other institutions.  We hear people -- important, powerful people --  say one thing and then behave in a way that is completely opposite.  It seems often to be hypocritical.  No one likes to be called out by someone who is not behaving very well, especially when they're criticizing you for something that they are doing themselves.  It's much the same as being lectured to about your drinking by someone who doesn't drink.


As Homer Simpson says: " I HATE to be called a liar.  Unless I'm lying or about to tell a lie or have just finished lying."  This is why The Program is so compelling.  We're not prodded to do what someone says.  We're encouraged to sit in the corner, with our coat pulled up to our ears and our mirrored shades on, and watch the behavior of our recovery mates.  We find someone who behaves in a way we find attractive and we talk to that person.  There are a lot of people who talk real purty in the rooms but don't back it up with good behavior.

No comments: