Monday, December 5, 2011

Forever and Ever

Forever:  For eternity; for always; endlessly.


The Minor Buddha has this to say: "We get stuck in the 'if only' syndrome.  If only I had more money, then I would be happy.  If only I could find somebody who would really love me, if only I could lose 20 pounds, if only I had a color TV, a Jacuzzi, and curly hair, and on and on forever."  


On and on and on forever and ever and ever.


My sponsor whacks my graying head frequently with the "This Too Shall Pass" bromide, with a thump.  When times are good, when times are bad, and even when I'm just bored he reminds me that the feelings are going to pass.


I do well to remember that it's not the stuff or the money or the relationships, it's how I crave them and hang on to them at all costs.  It's OK to have these things as long as I don't pursue them ferociously.  And when I manage to get a few of them I'm happier when I hold on to them loosely.


Curly hair?  Really?

No comments: