Monday, May 30, 2011

Type Cast

Type A Personality:   The theory describes a Type A individual as ambitious, aggressive, business-like, controlling, highly competitive, impatient, preoccupied with his or her status, time-conscious, and tightly-wound.  People with Type A personalities are often high-achieving "workaholics" who multi-task, push themselves with deadlines, and hate both delays and ambivalence.


I hear a lot of people in The Program protest when they're characterized as Type A individuals.  I thought I was a mellow, laid-back, easy-going Type B personality when I first started to get sober.  I was pointedly told that I was none of those things.  I had confused sitting in front of The TV, drunk and stoned, as an indication of a low key personality.  It was an indication of someone who was too drunk and stoned to get out and do anything, or too hung-over to tolerate the pain and nausea that any movement or sound caused.


I bet it's a 10 - 1 ratio in The Program, Type A to Type B.  I don't see too many low achievers in The Rooms.  I see folks with two speeds: off and 218MPH.  Not doing a Step or service work is more a consequence of fear or rebellion than laziness.  We have full schedules and busy lives and we accomplish a lot.  If you want to keep up with me you better have on your running shoes.


Lace 'em, boys.

No comments: