Saturday, May 7, 2011

Changing the System

The people that I work for have asked me to do some tasks that I think are stupid, non-productive, and time consuming in a busy-work, never-gonna-put-any-money-in-my-pocket kind of way.  Now, the fact that I'm a recovering drug addict and alcoholic with no formal training of any kind in business and they probably have advanced degrees in marketing and accounting from fancy private universities, along with practical experience running large corporations, seems like superfluous to me, in my megalomanical world view.


So I did what I do best -- I tried to change The System.  I start out arguing and criticizing and trying to explain why the tasks are stupid.  I'm smart enough to not use the phrase "This is stupid" any more, but my whole demeanor and attitude transmits this information to my handlers.  I get angry and resentful, and I stay that way far too long.  I don't do the work by the required date.  I don't send the information in to help these people track what I'm doing.  In short, I throw a tantrum that would make a 5 year old uncomfortable.


"Jeez," little Jimmy thinks.  "What a baby."


After I had amped up the misery that I was causing myself appropriately, I just did the work.  It did not, of course, take that long or cost that much or put me out in any significant way.  I was timely and I reported the results as requested.  Everyone, of course, was relieved and grateful.  They thanked me and complimented my efforts.


This was much easier.

No comments: