Saturday, May 14, 2011

Surrrr-Visss??

Service:  Work done or duty performed for another or others; the occupation of a servant.


I write about service so often because it is so alien to me, so contrary to my natural occupation as someone trying to get something from someone else, not someone trying to give something to someone else.  I'm talking money, time, stuff, shit, anything! I don't want to give up anything.  Then I hear those little voices of all the past and present Program people telling me that I've been called to a life of service.  And this is one of the guiding principles, as far as I can tell, of all of the world's great religions and spiritual philosophies.  Seek god and serve others.  That's the distillation.  That's the crux of the matter.  Everything else is adornment.


To trot out a story I'm sure I've trotted out. . .   Early in my sobriety it was suggested that I make coffee for one of the evening groups that I had started attending regularly.


"I don't drink coffee at night," I replied, deadpan, entirely serious, perfect poker face.  Lord, I was clueless.  Lord, I was even more clueless than I am now, which is pretty clueless.


Clue: Information which may lead one to a certain point or conclusion.


I don't remember what reply my coffee overlord gave, but it was probably nice and patient.  I made the coffee, which required me to arrive at the meeting an hour early, which annoyed me, and I cleaned up the coffee pot, which kept me there another half an hour, which really annoyed me.


"The meeting is over.  Why won't these people go home?" I groused one minute after the closing bell.  I was really annoyed that no one was praising me lavishly for the best coffee they had ever tasted.


I was unaware that the parlor trick was that I had to arrive an hour early and stay an hour late.  I met some people.  I didn't meet anyone when I arrived right when the meeting started and left right when the meeting ended.  I got to talk about my trials and tribulations, and I got to hear some wisdom from guys who had been through everything that I was complaining about, without drinking or taking a swing at a cop.


But more importantly, whether I understood this or not, which I didn't, I did something for someone else, for free, for no reward, and I wasn't going to get anything in return.  This is the spirit of service.  This was the start of a life philosophy that has made me happy.



No comments: