Sunday, May 15, 2011

Horseface Steve: Analyst

Analysis:  A separating or breaking up of any whole into its parts so as to find out their nature, proportion, function, relationship, etc.


Wow, that process sounds like a bad idea right from the git go for an alcoholic.  Nevertheless, I confess to a burning need to figure out exactly how something works before I can commit to it.   This caused me a lot of unnecessary anguish and trouble when I entered The Program, and it really caused me a lot of problems when it came to the whole Higher Power concept.


"OK, OK, I got it, I'm powerless over alcohol and everything else, and I need to develop a relationship with a Higher Power," I said, tired of people pointing out maybe why I wasn't staying sober or drug free or out of jail or off of the floor.  "Bring him in.  I'm ready to meet him.  Let's start the interview, let him present his proposal, see if it passes muster."


"I'm not sure it works that way, Horseface," the people sighed.  People sigh a lot around me.  It must be something I've said, or maybe it's my appearance, with the horse face and all.


Many things happen to me that I can't explain.  I find this especially true when it comes to stuff that I don't like.  I start right in with the analyzing.  I try to come up with a plausible explanation.  This is often counter productive.  Many of these things fall into the "Shit Happens" category.  


Of course, I find that I've caused many of my own problems, and the analysis is helpful here.  I don't mean to suggest that I shouldn't think about anything, just that I shouldn't think about everything all of the time, and that I shouldn't try to figure out how to solve things or how they were somehow my fault.  I swear I thought that I was being punished when it rained on Saturday.


Like I have that kind of power.

No comments: