Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Battle Cry

Different:  Not the same; distinct; separate.


In Idaho.  Treeless hills rising from a treeless plain.


As a recovering alcoholic and drug addict, I'm one tough son of a bitch.  And I'm serious when I say this.  Life threw a lot of stuff at me -- most of my own doing, unfortunately -- but it taught me  how to take a punch.  You may knock me down but you're not going to knock me out.


This is one of the great strengths of The Program.  As a group, someone has overcome every possible problem and challenge that I'm going to encounter .  My old battle cry: "But you don't understand!" is no longer applicable.  Someone does understand.  This was a total paradigm shift for a guy who spent my whole life trying to convince everyone that I was different, that what I was going through was an insurmountable problem.  


Then I met you people.  There is nothing quite like being helped by someone who has survived similar struggles to your own.  Identical struggles, in many cases.  I will listen to someone with experience.  OK, I don't listen to anyone, but I do watch someone with experience to see what they do, then maybe I'll follow their lead after I have exhausted all other options and am in a great deal of pain.


Ho Hum.

No comments: