Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Something Something Free Will Something

Herr Luber passed along this advice to me not long ago:  "Something something we must move forward or die something else."  


I remember this quote very well and really appreciated the reminder, even though I don't think any such quote exists.  I think we may have made it up in a smoky haze late one evening, long, long ago on a distant planet, in a galaxy far, far away.  But I'm a restless guy and I'll take any advice that appeals to me and fix it in my mind as fact.  I'm not often bothered when the fact is really fiction, as long as I believe it is true.


Does this have anything to do with free will?  I've been pondering the concept again.  I've been wondering about my will and god's will and which is which and how the %$#!! do you know, anyhow?  Our literature talks about the proper use of our will.  I'm such an expert in the aberrant use of free will that I was stunned to find out there was a proper use.  The particular Step that I'm referencing encourages me to move forward, but slowly and in as much stillness as I can muster up.    It seems to me that I can't sit on my haunches and let the world just happen.  It seems that I have to do some work and make some choices.  


It's OK to kick the ball forward.  Nothing wrong with kicking the ball; in fact, I think we're supposed to kick the ball.  I have learned to quit kicking the ball off high cliffs or into high voltage electric equipment or the faces of other people.  I've learned to get a sense of whether or not the ball has been kicked in a good direction.  I never used to know.  Now I make a choice, after having sought counsel from friends and my higher power, and then I see what shakes out.  It's not good or bad, anymore, it's kicking the ball down the road.


Suddenly, I feel like playing soccer.

No comments: