Saturday, April 23, 2011

Like a Thief in the Night

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Fear is an evil and corroding thread; the fabric of our existence is shot through with it.  I have always liked the reference to garment making in this particular allegory about fear.  I can just see the fear colored thread interwoven with all of the normal threads that make up the suit of my insane existence. 

Sometimes we think fear should be classified with stealing -- it seems to cause us more trouble. 

I'm not going to vouch for the accuracy of these plagiarized thoughts.

I'd say fear is like a thief in the night except it's more like a thief in broad daylight most of the time, wearing a black T-shirt with the word "Thief" printed on the front and the back, in orange day-glo capitalized letters, carrying a black bag that says "Swag."  My fear is not worried about sneaking around in the dead of night, stealthily.  It kicks down the fucking door in broad daylight and takes what it wants.

Ding-Dong.
"Who's there?"
"A thief."
"Oh, please come in.  Are you hungry?  Can I fix you something?  Would you like to live in my attic, rent-free?  You can use the basement if you want a place to practice death anthems with your death themed rock band."


That's not much of an exaggeration, actually.

No comments: