Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Promises

The Promises: A series of oral or written agreements to do or not to do something; vows

The famous 9th Step Promises sounded like a raw deal to me when I was getting sober.  I realize today that they are a fully cooked deal.  They are marinated in alcohol for a period of time and then pushed into a low temperature oven for a good slow cooking.  It takes a long time in that oven before the food is anything approaching edible.

Mostly, I'm glad that I'm able to spend so much of my time in the present minute.  I'm not in the past, regretting regrettable things and I'm not in the future, suffering unimaginable pain.  It all works out OK.  It's nice to have the brain idle down.  It's not totally in control.
It's mostly in control, of course.

No comments: