Friday, April 22, 2011

Interpreting the Icons, Working The Steps

The topic at today's meeting revolved around the importance of Working The Steps.  I love this topic, except when I'm not Working The Steps, which is distressingly often, at which point I hate this topic.  I need to be reminded to do the work.  So often I show up at a few meetings and daydream when anyone but me is talking, and I start my day by sitting down with a cup of coffee and daydreaming about how awful life is treating me, and I call my sponsor once a week, daydreaming whenever he starts to suggest a healthy course of action all the while withholding the important info about what's going on in my life, and I call this Working The Steps.  I need to be reminded that the good stuff I do on a daily basis is simply there to remind me to Work The *&%!! Steps.

I lose track of the difference between having my needs met and having my wants satisfied.  This is a bad thing to lose track of.  I don't think very well when I begin demanding far more of life than is reasonable.

When SuperK and I were driving home from our little hiking trip an alarm on my car went off indicating that there was a problem with one of the tires.  This really annoyed me because, as I have droned on about at length, a few of the tires on my car were damaged during transit to the New City and had to be replaced, at great expense to me.  Actually, at great expense to the insurance company but let's not take the focus off of me and how badly life is treating me.  I stopped and filled the tire with air, which seemed to fix the problem.

Yesterday, on the way for a cup of coffee, the alarm went off again.  To me, this indicated a more serious problem with the tire.  The first alarm might have been caused by a good tire needing air because of normal leakage; the second alarm for a tire that had just been filled with air wasn't a good sign.

This ruined the next few hours for me.  I was pissed about this.  Now here's the funny part: the icons that light up when something is amiss with the car look like Egyptian hieroglyphics drawn by an alcoholic who has taken too much acid.  I really have no idea what they're trying to tell me.   I have often wondered why they don't just tell me what's wrong instead of forcing me to interpret hieroglyphics.

SuperK: "That doesn't look like a flat tire icon.  I don't know what the *&$!! that's supposed to be.  Did you look it up in the manual?"
Horseface: "Do you think I should look it up in the manual?"
SuperK: "What, and ruin a good hissy fit?"

Ahem.  Not a flat tire icon. 

I have no further comment at this time. 

No comments: