Sunday, April 24, 2011

More

More and More: A constantly increasing amount, quantity, degree, or number (of persons or a specified thing).


"The problem is that these instincts, so necessary for our existence, often far exceed their proper functions.  Powerfully, blindly, many times subtly, they drive us, dominate us, and insist upon ruling our lives."  


This I lifted verbatim out of the literature.  No way I could make something up that good.  Right out of the part of the literature that talks about making an inventory, too.  "We eat, drink, and grab for more of everything than we need, fearing we shall never have enough."  We grab and grab and grab for more of everything than is our fair share.  Than is more than the fair share of half a dozen large men and a couple hundred little children put together.  


Because I have a terrible forget-er I try to frequently remind myself that life is a relatively simple affair.  I ask too much of it most of the time.  It's simple and I complicate it.  I try to fill it with enough stuff to satisfy my outlandish expectations.  The fact of the matter is that it has only been in the last 100 years or so that humans had the time to do anything but keep themselves fed and safe at night. 


Some more of that, please. 

No comments: