Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Clicker

I'm sure glad that The Program has provided me with a place to go.  It was terrifying being out there on my own, thinking and drinking, thinking and drinking, clicking through The TV channels with my trusty clicker, except that I couldn't afford a clicker-ready TV so I had to get up and walk across the room to see if there was something better on, which didn't often happen, this being TV.  Of course, as the evenings would progress I would simply lose interest in what else might be on and would quit getting up to make the long, perilous walk across the room to The TV.  And this was before the part when I couldn't physically stand upright long enough to make the trip.  At that point it didn't make any difference whether or not I wanted to watch something else.  I think I watched a lot of infomercials with the blond from "Three's Company."  I don't remember. 

I smoked and drank and thought Deep Thoughts.

At a morning meeting last week a friend talked about sitting in his seat on an airplane right before he knew he couldn't make the trip.  He got up and got off right before the cabin doors closed, eating the non-refundable fare and leaving his luggage to make the trip alone.  It was pretty funny, in that Program way that we all know so well.  While I have never done that particular crazy thing, it certainly didn't sound especially unusual.  I could easily see myself doing something similar if the circumstances were right.

I thought about how easily that story comes out in The Rooms.  I also thought about how odd it would sound out in The Real World.

I wonder if his luggage enjoyed the flight.

No comments: