Thursday, December 10, 2009

Intending To Be Good . . .

Intend: Implies a having in mind of something to be done.

In a perfect world people would judge me by my intentions rather than my actions. They would listen to what I say and pay little attention to what I do. I'm quite the talker. I'm quite the liar, too. And I'm not shabby in the manipulation department. What is it that you want to hear? I'm sure I can come up with something suitable, something pleasant to your ears, something to make you see me bathed in the soft glow of a magical light.

"That Horseface, what a guy," you say, as my buttery words beguile your senses.

"Damn that Horseface," you end up muttering, later, disappointed.

Over the years I've learned to size people up by what they do and not what they say. There are some pretty impressive resumes in The Program based on how people characterize themselves with their own mouths. I know I do it. I try to be witty, funny, and profound. I try to accentuate the good things -- good thing? is it multiple? -- and bury any bad behavior under a mountain of justification and rationalization.

There are folks who impress me by what they share and then offend me when they act. You get to know people if you stick around long enough. Sometimes their behavior doesn't jive with their speechifying. And many of us live very impressive lives of service and caring but don't spend a lot of time announcing the fact.

Like me, probably. I'm just sayin'.


Actually, sometimes I do nice things. If you give me a minute I'll try to come up with a couple.

No comments: