Thursday, December 3, 2009

Horrible Things To Come.

Horrible: Causing a feeling of horror; terrible; dreadful; frightful.

Today I'm going to live in the future. I believe I have written about living in the future at some point in the past but it really is an irresistible topic, and one that I'm sure I'll be drawn to once again in the future, probably sooner rather than later. I can go into the past and regret what I have done or left undone or blown up, but I'm limited to what actually happened or my recollection of it. I can't make a bad situation worse when it's already happened unless I can't remember exactly what happened, which is pretty common.

But fortunately, the amount of misery available to me in the future in limitless. It is without limit. It can expand forever and ever, like our universe. It has no end. I can suffer pain and indignities beyond belief as long as I'm willing to populate what may happen with horrible people and implausible scenarios and disastrous situations. I never underestimate my ability to imagine the truly awful.



The fact that bad things rarely happen to me is not a concern. Moreover, that I now have the tools to handle everything that may come my way is irrelevant because I may not have the tools to handle what will surely be an unimaginably catastrophic series of events. I can't even imagine how horrible it will be, but I try my best.



Imagining a horrible future is a good use of my time.

No comments: