Irony: A contrast between expectation and reality. (Ed. Note: Yeah, alcoholics don't do that shit.) (Ed. Note: See that? THAT'S irony.) It occurs when a statement means an opposite of what was said or an outcome is the reverse of what is expected.
"Too often we put off our own happiness until some event is realized in the future. The result is a cycle of setting and achieving milestones, only to realize after each one is achieved that it failed to do for us what we had thought it would. This is why many great masters of all traditions have stressed the importance of living in the present moment."
The Toltecs
I ascribe to the belief that if I want to be "happy" in the future then I damn well better work on being "happy" today. While it's OK to be a striver, to work at improving and arriving at a "better" place - a stable relationship, children, extra money, a successful career - if I make my "happiness" contingent on achieving these milestones I'm going to be in danger of screwing up today. I have found that a "truth" in my life is that when I quit grasping at something then it comes to me more easily and more naturally. Which can be frustrating and a good example of one of the ways my Higher Power can be an ironic, tricky son of a gun. An example: I came into A.A. extremely broke and some extra money, some "fun" money, some "bullshit" money only started arriving when I realized I could lead a good, satisfying life without the extra. The irony is that now that I have some of it I need less of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment