Saturday, September 16, 2023

Seaweed: Self-Righteous and Vocal About It

 "Nothing pays off like restraint of tongue and pen."

Restraint:  A measure or condition that keeps someone under control or within limits.

On our recent trip one of the perks was that the cruise line included a ride from the airport to the hotel where we would be staying the night before the start of the cruise.  As the airport was situated a long way from the city center this was a nice perk - cab fares were estimated at $150.  I called the office to schedule the transfer.   

"OK, what time does your flight get in?"

"We're going to be at the airport returning a car as we'll have been in Iceland for a couple of weeks already."

"I'm sorry but the transfers are only for people arriving that day."

This made no sense to me.  I was returning the car to the airport so I was going to be at the airport just as if I had flown in that day.  What difference did it make how I got to the airport?

"You understand I'm going to be at the airport?"

"Only for passengers flying in that day."

"OK, I'm flying in that day."  (Rigorous honesty, my ass.)

"What time does your flight arrive?"

"4:30."

"Great.  I need the airline and flight number to coordinate baggage pickup."

D'oh!  Goddammit.

I thanked her for her time - graciously, I might add, so graciously that it was fucking unreal - hung up, and called someone up the food chain who OK'd the transfer.  I was never unpleasant but I was persistent in my efforts to get around a stupid rule.  On the appointed day we dropped off the car and tried to find our transfer vehicle which was nowhere to be found.  I sent a few texts to the customer service department trying to sort things out, was ignored, and fired off this gem as we were getting into a cab: "This is great.  Just great.  A great way to start off our $&%!! vacation."  I did those symbols, too, instead of the graphic and offensive swear words that they were occluding.  Nothing.  Dead air.  Radio silence.

We took the $150 cab to the hotel and by the time we arrived I was reasonably calm.  I missed the $150 but I wasn't going to ruin a day over a mixup costing me an amount of money I could afford.  Plus the kid who drove us was an immigrant from Somali and we enjoyed talking to him.

Life moved on and we boarded the ship.  As we walked into our room a uniformed Brit followed us in, introduced himself as the hotel manager, and apologized for the mix-up.  Profusely.  And directed us to one of the attendants to coordinate putting a $150 credit onto our account.  Mostly, at this point, I was embarrased.  I made a fuss; I was right, which was the justification, poor as it was as a justification; and then I had to eat crow over making a fuss.  It's what I always say about a 9th Step amends - I don't behave well because I especially enjoy behaving well - I simply hate making amends.

Restraint in the Big Book and 12 & 12:

Our first objective will be the development of self-restraint.

Considering this explosive factor, we knew we had to practice self-restraint.

For we can never think or act to good purpose until the habit of self-restraint has become automatic.

In all these situations we need self-restraint etc etc etc.

The way this self-restraint paid off was startling.

So you can see restraint is a recommended practice.  Highly recommended.

No comments: