Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Bill W

 Bill likes to emphasize balance . .  . 

"This surely means that we ought to look toward God's Perfection as our guide rather than as a goal to be reached in any foreseeable time.  Perfect humility would be a state of complete freedom from myself.  Perfect humility would be a full willingness in all times and places, to find and to do the will of God.  When I meditate upon such a vision, I need not be dismayed because I shall never attain, it, nor need I swell with presumption that one of these days its virtues shall all be mine.

Bill W likes to emphasize that we grow through difficulty.  Here he's talking about our predilection to whipsaw between self-centered guilt and self-centered arrogance . . . 

"I think we need not regret these conflicts.  They seem to be a necessary part of growing up, emotionally and spiritually."

I'll confirm this: I don't grow for shit when I'm getting my way.  I take credit for getting my way and when I don't get my way, it's someone else's fault.

No comments: