Wednesday, September 27, 2023

%@&!!

 Sunk Cost Fallacy:  The phenomenon whereby a person is reluctant to abandon a strategy or course of action because they have invested heavily in it, even when it is clear that abandonment would be more beneficial.

I am responsible for most of what happens to me.

I've learned that when someone is suffering through a painful experience it's not helpful to offer platitudes like "this must be God's will."  There are a lot of truths in life that can be hurtful to someone who is going through a bad spell.  I use it sparingly.  Also, the idea that I'm getting what I need when I'm getting clobbered is another aphorism that needn't be shared immediately, especially when I'm not getting what I want.  These are kind of big ideas that work best when I'm preparing for what life has to offer and not during the moment of crisis.

Insurance is a ripoff.  

I screamed "Fuck!" into a pillow today.  It felt surprisingly good.  It was also surprising at how well  the pillow muffled the obscenity.  I think I could walk around the neighborhood screaming "Fuck!" into a pillow with relative immunity.

Isn't there a parable about some dude who suffered increasingly severe insults to his person throughout the course of the day after being mildly irritated at his cat first thing in the morning?  "Should of kicked the cat" or something along those lines?

Kick the fucking cat!

I wonder how the cat feels about that.  I bet my cat would scratch my eyes out overnight if I kicked her.

I had some bad news yesterday.  It was one of those pieces of bad news that could only happen when several lapses and screw-ups follow each other again and again.  Where you're left thinking: "None of this could have happened if someone had said this or done this halfway through" but no one intervened at any point until the bad thing was over and done with.  One of those.  And, of course, it was a bad thing that ultimately was my fault.  I was the one who made the mistake to start the process so it's kind of irresponsible for me to point the finger at people who might have stopped the bad thing.

Grasping the idea that "I get what I need and it won't be more than I can handle" is great when I'm getting what I want.  It's a disaster when I'm not.  Then I fail to see the wisdom and cannot stand its sanctimony.

I'm always a little sheepish when I ask for what I want . . . even when I'm adding "if it be your will" onto the end like a childish afterthought.

Also, I've always liked the idea that "It's all God's money" when someone else is suffering a financial boo-boo.  When it's my fucking money then God should keep his hands off of it because I might need it. 

No comments: