Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Some More About Me

Self:  An individual person as the object of his own reflective consciousness.  (Ed. Note: Whew.)

"Drinking is a manifestation of the wish to escape from reality.  The illusory charm of drink comes from the fact that the mental reactions to alcohol are extremely satisfying to certain psychological urges.  Let any man reflect on his sensations subsequent to taking a drink and I think he will agree that the resultant feelings consist (1) of calmness, poise, and relaxation; (2) of self-satisfaction, self-confidence, and self-importance."  Richard Peabody

I'm often taken aback at how often the prefix "self" presents itself in our literature, and not often in a complimentary fashion.  More along the lines of "boy, do you think about yourself a lot."  The implication is that we should stop obsessing with self, that we're going to be happier if we think about someone besides ourself.  Other people, in other words.  Those other people that we (if by "we" you mean "I") find objectionable.

"In order to achieve peace, tranquility, and real friendship, we must minimize anger and cultivate kindness and a warm heart.  You may be rich, powerful, and well-educated, but without these healthy feelings of kindness and compassion there will be no peace within yourself . . . "  The Dali Lama

To paraphrase the Dali Lama who apparently is not considering my circumstances, my specific circumstances, who is not taking all of my hardships and wants into consideration, thinks I hold myself in too high a regard.

What a feckless attitude.

No comments: