Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Da Buddha

"Suffering I teach, and the way out of suffering," proclaimed the Buddha.  Here suffering doesn't mean pain but the profound discomfiture which I experience when all of my attempts to remedy or evade pain prove futile.  It's not the pain that's important - it's how I experience it.  My sense of the pain.

It's all going to go, says the Buddha, all of it.

"When afflicted with a feeling of pain those who lack inner awareness sorrow, grieve, and lament, beating their breasts and becoming distraught.  So they feel two pains: physical and mental.  It is just like being shot with an arrow, and right afterwards being shot with a second one."  Da Buddha

"The more you think about it, the more you talk about it, the further from it you go.  Put an end to wordiness and intellection and there is nothing you will not understand.  Stop talking and stop thinking and there is nothing that you will not understand."  from the ancient Ch'an scripture On Trust in the Heart.

I have spoken, but in vain; for what can words tell
Of things that have no yesterday, tomorrow or today?

No comments: