Thursday, February 21, 2019

What It Means Is . . .

Admit:  Conceding . . . with reluctance (Ed Note: Can't you hear my teeth grinding as I concede?  I love the reluctance qualifier.)

Patient:  Able to accept or tolerate delays, problems, or suffering without becoming annoyed or anxious.

Will:  A person's determination, choice, or desire in a particular situation.

Wisdom:  The quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgment; the knowledge that is gained by having many experiences in life.

Egotism:  The practice of talking and thinking about oneself excessively because of an undue sense of self-importance.

Dependence:  The state of relying on or being controlled by someone or something else.

Sober:  Marked by a sedate or earnestly thoughtful character or demeanor; unhurried; calm; marked by temperance, moderation, or seriousness; showing no excessive or extreme qualities of fancy, emotion, or prejudice.

Defiant:  Full of or showing a disposition to challenge, resist, or fight; showing aggression or independence by refusing to obey someone.

Worry:  Give way to anxiety or unease; allow one's mind to dwell on difficulties or trouble.

Guilt:  A feeling of responsibility for some offense, wrong, etc.;  an unhappy feeling, whether real or imagined.

I have been re-reading some notes I made while addressing some behaviors that were making me uncomfortable.  Are making my uncomfortable still, unfortunately.  From time to time, as is my habit, I look up words.  The above definitions were strung out here and there.  I am struck by how many negative concepts come up.  Apparently I'm not drawn to positive ideas.

No comments: