Monday, February 4, 2019

Confirmation Bias

Confirmation bias:   The tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's preexisting beliefs or hypotheses.  It is a type of cognitive bias and a systematic error of inductive reasoning.

I hate it when a definition that interests me leads to a whole bunch of alien concepts that I really need to look up.  I feel the potential for a bog-like result.  Nonetheless, inductive reasoning is based on the idea that one investigates the worth of a premise by collecting facts and then deciding whether there is a strong or weak probability that the premise is true.  As opposed to deductive reasoning where an individual collects information - true or otherwise - and uses it to confirm what one already believes.

Think this is going on in our society right now?  

It reminds me of my old alcoholic behavior where I would surround myself with other drunks  and bury myself deeply beneath their self-destructive self-justification.  There we were, sucking on bongs and sucking down beers, congratulating ourselves on our wisdom and consoling one another about the injustices that life was bouncing off of our flushed foreheads.

No more, my friends. 

No comments: