Thursday, February 7, 2019

I Advise You Not to Give Advice

Advice:        An opinion recommended or offered, as worthy to be followed.
Opinion:      A subjective belief, judgment, or perspective that a person has formed about a topic, issue, person, or thing.

I note that opinion is not fact.  In fact, subjective means based on a person's feelings or intuition and not on observation or reasoning.

Nobody wants my advice.  Even if someone says they want my advice they still don't want my advice.  They want confirmation that I agree with whatever they're thinking or doing.  There aren't many healthy people who want to be told what to do, particularly not from some hipster doofus in a pork pie hat.

Why is this so hard for me to grasp?   I have a good friend who's pursuing his happiness in ways that seem counter-productive to me.  We talk frequently and I have to remember that the last thing I should do is explain to him how and why he could do it better.  His life is his own to live.  I don't know what's best for me.  Why would I think I know what's best for you?

No comments: