Saturday, March 25, 2017

I Mentor People Alright

This morning I got up at 4:30 so that I could have my yoga/devotion time before heading over to the morning meeting - good even though I didn't speak - and came home for breakfast.  Then off to the pool where I attempted not to drown for about 35 minutes.  I stopped by my regular coffee shop afterwards where one of the young people that serves me my overpriced specialty coffee drink followed up my inquiry as to his well-being with this response:  "And how about you - are you just getting your day started?"  

It was almost noon.  I chuckled to myself before ticking off my activity line-up.  I always tell people when I've been to a meeting.  It's what I did and I don't really care what anyone thinks anymore.  Most people make some positive noises or treat the comment as if I said I'd been to the farmer's market.   Who knows?  Maybe it'll resonate with somebody at some point.

"Good for you," he said.  "You should be proud of yourself."  He looked to be about 22.

I stifled another chortle.  

"I've been doing it for almost 30 years," I said gently with what I hope was a total absence of condescension.  I didn't want him to think that I was just hanging on for dear life even though most of the time I'm just hanging on for dear life.

"So do you like mentor people?" he asked.

I laughed this time.

"Really, we're all kind of mentoring each other," I said.  "Although I'm somewhat more . . . ahem . . . mature than a lot of the other members and I've been at it for a while so hopefully I can share some of my experience to anyone who's getting started."

I liked the whole exchange.  I always wonder what your average Earth Person thinks when I say I've been to a meeting.  I like looking for the reaction. It's similar, I think, when I say that my favorite band is Black Sabbath.  I'm in my little suit jacket, kind of calm looking and pleasant in mien and expression, not an image of drunken, wasted, Sabbath-blasting ne'er do well.


No comments: