Sunday, March 6, 2016

Splenetic

Spleen:  A ductless vascular gland which destroys old red blood cells, removes debris from the bloodstream, acts as a reservoir of blood, and produces lymphocytes.  (Ed. Note: Why in the world did this perfectly respectful sounding gland acquire the reputation of being a source of spitefulness?  Hardly seems fair, does it, o noble spleen?)

Since I'm in a big theme Repeat-a-thon I'll mention that I've had some recurring, renewing, reviving thoughts about being responsible for my own happiness.  If I'm not happy that is . . . on . . . me.  If I'm angry or upset that is . . . on . . . me, despite the fact that I so dearly love to blame other people, places, and things for any negative feelings I have.   It is so tempting to look outside of myself for a reason for my unhappiness and it's especially tempting when I truly perceive some person, place, or thing to be at fault or somehow lacking.  The world is a flawed place and people are flawed beings so I can always find something upon which I can vent my considerable spleen.

No comments: