Monday, March 14, 2016

President Seaweed

I had a nice talk on the phone a couple of days ago with Spandex.  I think the general tenor of the conversation was along the lines of "Really?  This is what my life is like?"  This is actually a pretty common theme for us.  I don't want to suggest that either of us is unhappy or discontented for this is far from the truth.  Rather, I think, we fantasize from time to time about what it would all be like if our life was a blank canvas upon which we could paint the exact picture we want.  I think there would be a lot of free time and Ferraris and shit like that showing up.

I get this newsletter from my old high school.  In the last issue I saw that the guy who finished exactly one spot ahead of me in our senior class rankings is now the president of a major university.  This guy was a seriously smart dude.  I don't think I'm an idiot or anything but I attained my class rank by just basically outworking most people.  I was never destined to be the president of anything.

So I got up this morning and went to the Malcontent's meeting, which was excellent.  We read from our main text and had a good discussion.  I've got a lot of seriously good friends there that it was seriously good to see.  Then I had breakfast and drove inland about 15 miles and took an excellent, seriously good 4 hour hike.  We've had a lot of rain here in semi-arid Vacation City so the terrain - all uphill, for the excellent work-out - was surprisingly green.  I was by myself, thinking good thoughts, listening to the crunch of my hiking boats on the rocky trail, watching wisps of fog blow in and out, shrouding the peaks of the low mountain range that I was tromping right on up.  Coffee in the sun afterwards.  A good book and a good newspaper on the porch when I got home.  A quiet dinner, home-cooked in all aspects.

Hard to beat that. 

No comments: