Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Self-Righteous-Osity

Self-righteous:  Piously self-assured and smugly moralistic.

My men's meeting is deep in the bowels of a book written by a pretty famous member of The Fellowship - not conference-approved so inappropriate for an official meeting but fine for our book study group.  There's a lot of good writing out there above and beyond the stuff our central office has vetted.  There's a lot of crap, too, he muses self-righteously.

So continuing on my self-righteous thread about self-righteousness I was confronted by this paragraph in the book last night.  I find that when I put myself in a position to be helped that help cometh, and it cometh briskly.

"Nothing is more useless than trying to change someone who thinks they are never wrong. Change for them is too frightening.  The only answer I know is to accept the fact that they are the way they are and will never change.  Then either leave and be happy, or stay and be happy. But don't stay and complain, or leave and complain.  It's a wast of time and energy.  You'll only hurt yourself."

SuperK is of the opinion that I never admit to being wrong.  To which I reply: "If I'm ever wrong I'll be the first to admit it."  She doesn't think this is very funny.

Come to think of it she says that I never say I'm sorry.  My answer to this, as I recall - also not very funny - is along the lines of: "If I ever make a mistake I'll apologize immediately."

You can see why I'm continuously in hot water.  You can see why I try not to talk.

No comments: