Friday, September 26, 2014

wheem-a-whip, a-wheem-a-whip

Instinct:  A natural or inherent impulse or behavior.

I've pondering my instincts lately - the desire for sex, money, and power.  Funny, these instincts. The Book talks about them a lot - it suggests that we aren't aware of any instances where an individual has been able to completely eliminate them, no matter how problematic they can be,  and then in the same breath mentions that a lot of our problems arise when we make the satisfaction of these instincts our primary purpose.  We go way, way overboard in our pursuit of money, power, and sex.

Imagine that - an alcoholic going overboard.

The instincts are important because they keep us alive.  We need to eat and have a safe place to sleep and procreate.   Well, maybe not to procreate given our overreach on the sex instinct but still.  And let's face it - humans are just pretty fancy animals when it comes to the instincts.  Our brothers and sisters in the animal kingdom aren't shy about their instincts.  Your average lion isn't thinking: "Hey, I've had enough gazelle - maybe I should share with the rest of the lions."  They eat until they're stuffed to the gills.

Am I suggesting that we're no better than the animals?  Is that what I'm suggesting?  And what are you going to do about it if I am?  Well, punk, what are you going to do?

Actually, I have no idea what I'm talking about.  I jotted down these electronic notes a few days ago when something or the other was making sense.  Clearly, nothing is making sense at the moment.

In the jungle, the mighty jungle,
The lion sleeps tonight.
Wheem-a-whip, a-wheen-a-whip, a-WHEEM-a-whip . . . .

If you want to get technical about it I think lions are actually going to be found in the savanna and not the jungle.

Maybe that's my point.

No comments: