Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Big Sale!

Girding up one's loins:  Refers to the need to strap a belt around one's waist when getting up to avoid one's cloak falling off.

I've been pursuing the idea that I should do the work and leave the results up to my Higher Power for so long that it isn't funny, which leads me to ask this question (Ed. Note: said question directed to my own damn self): why don't I actually try to practice the concept?  This leads me further down the concept rat hole: why am I so surprised that it works so well when I do occasionally, in spite of myself, actually practice said concept?

Here was my yesterday: SuperK and I girded up our loins to visit a local retail establishment.  A few days earlier we had placed a product on hold to take advantage of a sale that was expiring that very day.  The counter guy put the hold on an incorrect product, potentially costing me some damn money, and he offered to remedy this by discounting something or the other else.  I added up the two numbers and saw in a damn hurry that his solution, fixing his mistake,  was going to cost me some damn money.  I girded up my loins with some heavy-duty girding material, certain that I was going to have to go to war, eager for the conflict.

(Ed. Note: When we go out into public together to talk to other . . . you know . . . people, I rarely get to talk - there aren't many prohibitions existent in our house that one of us has levied on the other, but me talking to other people in the presence of my wife is one of them).

Strolling into the store we immediately see that one of the two products that made the final cut (the runner-up, the bridesmaid, the second place trophy winner) was writhing in the throes of an incredible sale.  We knew it was a good sale because the counter guy tried to talk us into buying the less expensive product, a product that we liked as well at the big winner which we chose, frankly, because it isn't all that damn important to us and we didn't want to be one of those weird couples who spend half a lifetime agonizing over something that they eventually hate, anyway.

Should I mention that the amount of money that we saved was far, far greater than the original sales price?

No, I didn't think I should mention that.

No comments: